Winter is Coming…
November 21, 2019
Posted by D. A. Burns
…and fall is here now with the rainy season on the way and falling leaves filling the yard. Those leaves that look so pretty can also clog drains though, and create roof dams that cause leaks. A build-up on walks and driveways can also be just as slippery as ice. At D. A. Burns, we can care for rugs that have been damaged by water intrusion into a home, but a little maintenance around the house can keep the water out.
Surprisingly, heavy rain flooding is not the major reason for the water damaged rugs we start to see at this time of year. Customers sending in wet rugs tell us what happened, so we started taking note of the most common causes.
- Surface drains around the home become blocked by fallen leaves, allowing ground water to build up and seep under garage doors, into basement light wells and at other gaps.
- Clogged gutters and downspouts can allow water to rise under roofing material and leak through to the interior ceilings and walls. If your roof has valleys, leaf build up in the valleys can cause leaks there as well.
- Underground drains that become clogged or ground that slopes toward a building can allow a build-up of pressure in the soil that can force water into basements that have never had a history of water leaks. Concrete can be thought of as a really hard sponge. With enough water pressure in the ground, water can move directly through concrete and mortar even if there are no cracks.
- Undetected damage to roofing, roof vents and siding.
- Broken windows or roof damage caused by falling tree limbs or the trees themselves.
- Leaving windows open during a rainstorm. Kind of romantic to listen to the rain, but not always practical.
In order to keep your furnishings safe from harm, this is the time to inspect the exterior of your home and take advantage of any remaining dry weather to remove leaves…and call us to clean your furnishings when it fits your schedule.
As a weather-related side note, D. A. Burns carries Door Guards on every service truck. These fit in most doorways to keep heat and pets in during the cleaning process. We also carry large air movers designed specifically to dry carpet after cleaning, which we’ve found to be beneficial in getting carpet dry quickly in our wetter seasons.